5 Interesting Facts About “Captain” Vijayakanth Who Wore Several Caps: DMDK founder Captain Vijayakanth, who passed away today, played many roles in his long public life, starting from captivating heroic displays. -eating a bunch of bad people by hand surprised the political pundits again with great embarrassment of political power
Here are 5 facts about the ‘Captain’ who wore many hats
1. In 1952, Vijayakanth Narayanan Vijayaraj Alagarswami was born in Madurai. While performing, he removed “raj” from his name and added “kanth”.
The name “Captain” comes from his role in the movie “Captain Prabhakaran” in 1991, in which he played a forest officer. In 1990, he married Premaratha, who continued to support him in his political career.
2. In 2005, Vijayakanth founded Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK) in DMK and AIADMK dominated Tamil Nadu political environment.
Only Vijayakanth won the Assembly’s first election in the 2006 general elections. Despite its lone victory, the DMDK sent shockwaves through the state’s political system.
3. The 2011 state polls turned out to be DMDK’s best election. That year, Vijayakanth joined the AIADMK and contested on 41 seats.
It managed to win 29 of them, more than the DMK’s count. Vijayakanth became the leader of the opposition and remained in office until 2016.
4. The next election was a disappointment for Vijayakanth and DMDK. The veteran leader was defeated in the 2016 elections and lost his deposit. His party is still in a vacuum.
DMDK contested the 2019 Lok Sabha elections in alliance with BJP and AIADMK but failed to gain traction. Vijayakanth has been staying away from limelight for the last few years due to his poor health. His wife Premalatha held the party position.
5. Apart from his notable work as an actor and politician, Vijayakanth founded an engineering school and launched a television channel called Captain TV. He also served as the president of the South Indian Film Artists Association.